Friday, April 13, 2007

Of Can'ts and Rainbows

I had the unexpected delight of attending a Renaissance Island meeting. The meeting itself was not unexpected, nor was my attendance. It was the delight I found in it to be beyond my expectations.

I feel I held a place in the positive outcome in the meeting by planting a few seeds in the mind of the meeting organizer. Later, when a person named Puglet (whose animator works as a big mucky-muck for ALA) went forward with her reasons for asking for Showtime to make a contribution to the cause, the meeting organizer was pre-prepared to support her notions. Things progressed smoothly from that point forward, and the subtle but undeniable threat was communicated to the Showtime representative that we will be perfectly willing to drop this project should they not come through with supportive funding.

As of the result of this meeting, I watched friendships re-kindle, and watched other misunderstandings clear up. I also found myself somehow cast into playing some role in the island development, although what this role will be is as yet anyone's guess.

I spent some time after this meeting with FD, Cathering, Alpha, and Mykyl, and watched the workings of a new, remarkable sign. It distressed me somewhat to find Cathering (who seemed to take delight in this misspelling of her name) in a distressed mood herself. She is not feeling productive. We really must sit down and develop the great "Product" which will make the name "Brother's of the Twisted Prim" world renowned. I am, alas, lazy, so this will cost me some mental and emotional effort. But if we can find the proper project to inspire us, I am sure I can get past my sloth-like tendencies. As a child, my animator wanted to be an inventor. The reality of being somewhat hopeless with hardware has somewhat squashed that dream for him. Again, perhaps the physics of SL will prove less troublesome for me, and I can help him to realize his dreams.

I ended up spending the evening trying to filter through three conversations at once, which was more than my easily befuddled brain could handle. I ended up spending time with Lina discussing the bemusing but also painful trials which could ultimately lead the collapse of Wings of Hope magazine. Again, I find it incomprehensible to me that religion can inspire such descent and anger. Such drama runs completely counter to my internal programming, and I often find myself at a loss to understand just what exactly the problem is.

Then again, there is much about religion that I find befuddling. A happier life may be obtainable if I could learn to accept that there are some mindsets that I do not understand, and, while I accept that understanding of some of these mindsets may ultimately be possible, I also have come to believe that certain mindsets may be beyond my understanding. I have encountered such minds before, and find that I can often argue the person down to acknowledging a barefaced contradiction in their thinking. The finding of such a contradiction would immediately cause me to reevaluate my thoughts...others seem quite content to live with the contradiction.

When encountering such people I also often find that their world is full of "can'ts". You can't do this...I can't do that... etc. This is merely my observation, but I have found it to be a measure of someone's sanity to count the number of can'ts they have in their lives. A person with many can'ts will live an isolated and lonely life. A person with more can'ts than this will fall into insanity.

A person who is all can'ts is dead.

At any rate, I went to bed last night happy and content, and look forward to another day where I will sit back and enjoy my bafflement. Confusion is but another color in the brain, and my mind is feeling quite the rainbow right now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm discovering that I can't say "can't"... is that ok?